Alexander Wang // NYFW
The ponytail is far from a new feat to fashion week but Redken’s Creative Consultant Guido Palau, is always looking for ways to put a new spin on the humble hairstyle as evidenced at the Alexander Wang Spring Summer 2013 show at NYFW. Creating a futuristic, modern interpretation the style was sleek and slightly robotic from the front, acting as the perfect juxtaposition to the back which was all natural and disheveled texture with a bit of a wave.
"I'm always challenging myself to update classics, and the look at Alexander Wang is a ponytail with a different point of view,” Palau explained. “Alex wanted a small head this season, so this started as a low pony kept close to the head. But I then added a strip of tape down the centre part, which makes the style become more than just a simple pony. The severity of the tape almost makes you look twice - which makes sense with the collection."
The futuristic pony was the perfect complement to the collection which was an amalgamation of laser-cut detailing, metallic fabrics and structured cuts, all lending themselves to Wang’s signature athletic styling.
Get the look…
1. On damp hair, create a center part that’s not perfectly straight.
2. Apply satinwear 02 prepping blow-dry lotion from roots to end and blast with heat, leaving natural texture in the bottom two thirds.
3. Pull hair into a low pony at the nape of the neck keeping the hair tight to the head and secure with tie.
4. Using a curling iron creates a light bend to the hair in the pony.
5. Adhere tape to the centre part, running about an inch down the centre of theforehead.
6. Mist fashion work 12 versatile working spray all over finished style to keep the front sleek and add texture and flexible hold in the back.